>Hi Folks,
>
>I'm brand new to this List, and have just received the Algorithm for
>Managing Parkinson's Disease and the Caregiver's Handbook, and have perused
>a few days' worth of email messages.  I'm a caregiver for my sweetie Mike,
>who is 56 and has had Parkinson's for 15 years.  (I'm sending this message
>for him and at his request.)
>
>He's been on Sinemet since the beginning, and is now on a pill schedule of
>Sinemet and Permax.  In May, his Parkinson's doc observed that his
>dyskinesias were getting rather severe, and suggested that the Sinemet was
>maybe now causing more trouble than it's benefit.  He recommended a gradual
>changeover to a schedule of Permax and Amantidine.  Mike is apprehensive
>about quitting the Sinemet, since he believes that it is what enables him
>to move, so he has not made the change.  The doctor renewed his
>recommendation in August.  He doesn't say much about what Mike might
>anticipate  experiencing on the new pill schedule, apart from acknowledging
>that he might be slower.  Does anybody out there have any real-life
>experience on Amantidine, or the combination of Permax and Amantidine?  It
>would be helpful to have more information on which Mike can  make his
>decision.
>
>Cheers,
>
>Mary
>
>Mary -  I was diagnosed with PD a year ago -
>
>Currently I am taking Eldepryl and Amantadine - both twice daily - compared
to other postings I have read - my symptoms are relatatively mild - the
Amantadine seems to do the trick - EXCEPT when I allow my life to become
cluttered with stress - then the hand tremors return.  I have learned within
the last few months that it does matter when you take your medicine.  For me
it is not the time of day that matters - it just must be the same time each
time each day.  But that is probably the case with most meds.

Christine Anne Sutter