This is my first update to the posting I made eight weeks ago regarding my
pig-cell implant
surgery.  It has now been twelve weeks since the operation.  In the original
article, written one
month after the procedure, I said that I seemed to be doing a bit better.
 Although there was
nothing specific, I thought that I was just feeling a bit better, overall.
 It was encouraging.  But I
was not running around like an eighteen year old.  Far from it!

In the past two months, though, I have seen some very significant
improvements.  Some
examples include better walking, less fatigue, better coordination, more
energy, better sleeping,
elimination of night-time drooling, less freezing, fewer "on / off" problems,
and the like.  Friends
and family said they thought I "looked better."  I noticed, in particular,
that I could cut things
better on my dinner plate, that my handwriting was a bit more legible, and
that I was more
proficient at dressing myself.

While all of these things are great, they are virtually meaningless unless
they can be
demonstrated in a clinical manner.  It's possible that I was doing better
because I felt that I
should be doing better.  The old "placebo-effect" we've all heard about.

So on Tuesday and Wednesday of this week I underwent extensive re-testing at
the Neurological
Referral Center at the Boston Medical Center.  The tests were the same ones I
had just prior to
the surgery.  They checked for balance, walking, and all the other motor
skills.  Yes, they were
two very tiring days.  At the end of the first one, however, I was able to do
some shopping in
downtown Boston.  Sure, I was tired, but at least I was mobile and I didn't
need my cane very
much.

Day Two promised to be quite difficult as I had to be off all medications for
at least twelve hours
before the tests.  They needed for me to be in the "off" state to take the
measurements.  And
then, after the first battery was completed, I was to be given the dose of
Sinemet so they could
test me in the "on" condition.  Being deprived of medication for the first
time since the surgery I
had visions of being unable to move at all.  It was a little disconcerting,
as you might imagine.
My fears were groundless!  Not only could I move rather well, I walked from
the parking lot to the
office (the equivalent of a couple of blocks) with complete independence!  It
was an eye-opener.
The staff seemed amazed; but no more than I was.

I performed all of the tasks fairly well; especially when you consider that I
was "off."  Now, here's
the strange part.  I was given my first dose of Sinemet.  And nothing
happened.  Same thing
when I took another pill.  After the third, I eventually switched "on" and
became quite dyskinetic.
These were not the responses that they were expecting and I think that
they're still trying to
figure out what went on.  So am I.  To my way of thinking, the "off" was just
not that much "off."

Now, to the important news.  Were the medical professionals able to find and
scientifically prove
any areas of improvement?  Yes, they were.  Although the raw data would mean
nothing to us,
some of the motor-skill tests indicated a fifty-percent improvement over the
same tests that were
done prior to the operation.  Obviously, this is good (and exciting) news.
 Especially considering
the fact that in theory no results were predicted to occur before six months
after the operation.

This is largely unchartered territory, however, and we must keep ourselves
aware of any
unknown possibilities.  Will the effect be permanent?  Will it be too good?
 Are there any
unknown side-effects.  This is what research is all about.

I will continue to keep you informed.

Jim Finn