Kathie, you wrote.........

>Frankly I've never been able to understand why all us PWP's have the same
>sort of life outlook until that study this week about stress compromising
>our BBB's..........

Kathie, I found this reference on Medscape/Medline. I think it goes a long
way in helping explain the method by which stress damages the short term
memory as well as the other functions in which the hyppocampus is involved.
I have abstracted the abstract.  For the full abstract log onto Medline and
and do a search or contact me at
[log in to unmask] (John Morey), today if possible as I may be gone for a
few weeks.
 Stress exacerbates neuron loss and cytoskeletal pathology in the hippocampus.
 Title Abreviation: J Neurosci        Date of Pub: 1994 Sep
 Author: Stein-Behrens B; Mattson MP; Chang I; Yeh M; Sapolsky R;
 Issue/Part/Supplement: 9     Volume Issue: 14      Pagination: 5373-80

 Abstract: Glucocorticoids (GCs), the adrenal steroids secreted during
stress, endanger the  hippocampus, compromising its ability to survive
neurological insults. ......... ............Superficially, these
observations suggest that stress itself
 should also exacerbate the toxicity of neurological insults.............
  Thus,............stress itself, can exacerbate hippocampal neuron loss and
the attendant degenerative markers following an excitotoxic insult. Of
significance, seizure and hypoxia-ischemia ..........,  may thus  worsen the
resultant damage. Furthermore, a number of neuropsychiatric disorders, as
well as  aging......... may endanger the hippocampus in the event of
neurological insult.