Hi Brian Collins <[log in to unmask]>, you wrote
>> >He's been on Sinemet since the beginning, and is now on a pill schedule of
>> >Sinemet and Permax.  In May, his Parkinson's doc observed that his
>> >dyskinesias were getting rather severe, and suggested that the Sinemet was
>> >maybe now causing more trouble than it's benefit.  He recommended a gradual
>> >changeover to a schedule of Permax and Amantidine.  Mike is apprehensive
>> >about quitting the Sinemet, since he believes that it is what enables him
>> >to move, so he has not made the change.  The doctor renewed his
>> >recommendation in August.  He doesn't say much about what Mike might
>> >anticipate  experiencing on the new pill schedule, apart from acknowledging
>> >that he might be slower.
>> >Mary

>I was diagnosed with PD a year ago -
>> >
>> >Currently I am taking Eldepryl and Amantadine - both twice daily -
>compared
>> to other postings I have read - my symptoms are relatatively mild - the
>> Amantadine seems to do the trick - EXCEPT when I allow my life to become
>> cluttered with stress - then the hand tremors return.  For me
>> it is not the time of day that matters - it just must be the same time
>> time each day.  But that is probably the case with most meds.
>> Christine Anne Sutter

>Hello Mary and Mike.  I think Mike is absolutely correct in being very
>suspicious of Amantadine. I would not consider it as a substitute for
>Sinemet.  The message from  Christine above
> the reason why you should not take the advice
>is simply the fact that you have had PD for 15 years, and Christine has had
>it for 1 year.

I think you're on a dangerous course here, Brian. None of us can presume
to say "don't take his/her advice, take mine"! I don't recall if you
have medical/neurological qualifications (whatever they might imply,
anyway!) but the fact that your system works in many cases does not mean
it is the only source of wisdom.

What works for one person doesn't for another: at a YAPP&RS meeting on
Wednesday I discussed this with a PWP with the same length of diagnosis
as mine, who was using Amantadine to great effect. I stopped using it
two or three years ago, and never missed it!

In this forum, especially, I believe it's important to see ALL the
opinions, experiences & anecdotes, when it becomes clear that what is
sauce for the goose, may very well not be sauce for the gander!

Best regards, and have a good Christmas.

--
Jeremy Browne - [log in to unmask]
Shaking Hands BBS - +44 (0)1252 626233 - Fidonet 2:252/160