Hi Kate MacGillivray <[log in to unmask]>, you wrote

>My father has PD and my frustration with dealing with the medical
>community
Say no more!

>My father is 83 years old.  Although he has shown signs of PD for
>many years, he was just recently referred to a neurologist for
>confirmation of PD and prescribed Sinemet - 1/2 pill 3X daily
>which he has taken since the end of Sept.
>Since September he has
>had rapid deterioration and was hospitalized on Dec. 7 because he was
>too weak to stand and was very confused.
>The major cause of my distress (other than the obvious sadness in
>seeing my father incapacitated) is that his GP has failed to contact
>Dad's neurologist .... told my mother that this is simply deterioration
>caused by the
>disease and that a change in medication would not help in Dad's case

That IS possible, but I think you would do well to get a second opinion,
and from a neurologist at that.

>The GP cannot contact Dad's neurologist and seems
>unwilling to discuss Dad's case with an alternate.

That sounds like a traditional case of "I'm a doctor and I know what I'm
doing. How dare you question my judgement?"!!!

>2) Am I wrong in thinking that a change in Dad's medication could
>help him somewhat.

QUITE possibly. Even REDUCING it might help!

>3) How is it possible for Dad to deteriorate so quickly?

Well, if he has something like Parkinson's Plus or Multi-System Atrophy,
then yes, deterioration COULD be that quick. But get a second opinion
and SEE A NEUROLOGIST, NOW! You're paying the bills - you have a right
to the appropriate treatment, whatever country you are in.

>Could it be caused by his medication?

YES, but you can't be sure until you have cross-checked.

Good luck.

--
Jeremy Browne - [log in to unmask]
Shaking Hands BBS - +44 (0)1252 626233 - Fidonet 2:252/160