Greetings:

I had a second thalomotomy four days ago. This was done on the right
side of my brain for  a tremor (primary symptom) on my right side.  And,
regretably, the result has not been positive as it was in 1991.  My
voice is weak and raspy.  In addition, my mind is real mushy.  I recall
feeling the same way (with the mushy mind) after the first operation.
But, I didn't have the voice problem then and the tremor on my right
hasn't been around since the 1991 procedure. The neurosurgeon said that
problem was he couldn't get the probe to the desired 5 centimrs. When he
tried to drill deeper, my eyelids would not stay open.  Later he said if
he had pushed the envelope, I could  have suffered a stroke.  He also
said that it's fairly common to not experience the beneficial results
until the passage of a couple weeks.

But, don't feel that I was slighted; I did come home with 3 more
prescriptions (trihexyphemidyl--aka artane, trihypenixdyl, a steroid for
swelling in the brain, and dexone, a sedative for insomnia).  This is in
addition to my pre-surgical daily regimen (about 1000 mg. of sinemet,
amantadine, permax, and prozac).

If anyone on this list has had a pair of thalamotomys (or for that
matter two pallidotomy's)  I would very much hearing about your
experience.

Regards and happy holidays.

George L. Bousliman
Helena, MT