George - My husband, Dick, had two pallidal stimulations (same procedure as
pallidotomy except they leave the electrodes in and don't create a lesion) in
'95 and '96.  He also had a problem with his voice following the surgeries.
 The first surgery was somewhat complicated, and he ended up being awake on
the table for 9 hours.  Following that, he couldn't make any sound at all for
three days.  (Moved his lips but no sound came out).  Then his voice was weak
and raspy, and likely to quit entirely in mid-sentence.  It improved somewhat
as time went on, although it seems to me that it continues to be more
undependable than before the surgeries.  He has had speech therapy, which has
helped considerably.
     He also experienced "mushy brain" - had some memory lapses that were
pretty scary to me - that lasted about six months, I think.  He also was
totally unsafe behind the wheel of a car for some time afterward - even up to
six months.  George, do you still drive?  Please remember what I said about
Dick and be careful.  The doctors didn't warn him about driving except for
the first 30 days after surgery.
     We hope your second thalamotomy turns out to be successful.  Dick's
second surgery wasn't as successful as the first, although we know others
with two pallidal stimulations who found the second operation was more
successful for them.  I think it has to almost entirely with the placement of
the electrode or the lesion - but I imagine the doctors would tell us it's
much more complicated than that.
     Good luck to you.  Margie Swindler   Lawrence, Ks