>>I seriously believe that my problems are stress related.  Not only does
>>stress decrease the ability of the braiin to keep unwanted chemicals out,
>>but it also increases the very chemicals that cause neurotransmitter
>>imbalance.  Any comments, with references??
>>
>John,
>
>Frankly I've never been able to understand why all us PWP's have the same
>sort of life outlook until that study this week about stress compromising
>our BBB's. I told my neuro once "I think us parkys just fry our brains out
>with too much stress for too long..." He replied "You're not far off." Apart
>from the fact that most of us can point to at least one neuro/chemical
>crisis in our lives, I wonder if most of the people alive today can't also
>cite a neuro catastrophy, but don't have PD... I find myself in the company
>of some of the finest, most creative thinkers I've ever met, all of us
>trying to find a way out of neuro-hell.
>
>The most encouragement I've had lately was in my recent research on the BBB
>(which was sparked even more by the study report), I encountered a R & D
>company that specialized in BBB research. I'm always interested in a risky
>high-profit potential stock, so I looked further, to discover that this
>group had recently formed a private limited partnership to fund theiir
>latest research, and the publicly owned company only had an option to buy
>the outcome....meaning (I deduce) that they think they are very close to a
>profitable breakthrough, and want to keep the big bucks themselves. Much as
>I dislike it, I think human greed is a pretty reliable thing, so I take that
>maneuver as a real good sign.
>
>Let's hope...
>
>Kathie
>
>REPLY TO HYPOTHETICAL INCREASED BLOOD-BRAIN BARRIER IN RESPONSE TO STRESS

        It is logical from what we know about the control of brain capillary
and arteriolar permeability that hormones, effectors of local receptors, and
other such agents are effective both in normal mechanisms of brain
permeability and in response to stress. However, there is much controversy
about many of the expriments that have or are being done. It will take a
while to obtain even partial solutions to the problems of design and
interpretation of the experiments.
        Secondly, my sensitive nose to self-adulation became itchy after
careful reading What heroic work is not cited?". For example: "..I ind
myself  in the company of some of the finest, most creative thinkers I've
ever met, all of us trying to find ourselves out of neuro-hell." [What has
that to do with solving the problems alluded to here; can't the author give
at least one example?
        Then the climax: a drug manufacturer is issuing a "..high-profit
potential stock... very close to a potential breakthrough. I dislike it,
["but.."] ] I  think greed is a pretty reliable thing." ...:a real good
sign...".  A real good sign of what???  Line up now fellow P.D.ers. At the
very least you will have memories of how you donated your b.b.b. to medical
science.
        [Confidentially, this letter writer is either very inept or is one
of the best contributions to our collection of P.D. humor.

        Steven Mayer, [log in to unmask]
Steven E. Mayer, Ph.D.