The Parkinson afflicted lost one of the greatest contributors
to the reduction of their suffering. Professor Dr. Walther
Birkmayer passed away last week in Vienna, Austria at the
age of 86. There is no Parkinson versed neurologist
anywhere in the world unfamiliar with Dr. Birkmayer's achievements
and contributions as well as his constant effort to alleviate the
effects caused by this disorder. He wrote more than 12 books and
close to 400 scientific publications on the subject. Personally,
I made his acquaintance in 1972, two years after my wife's Parkinson
was diagnosed at Leahy Clinic in Boston. Thanks to Dr. Birkmayer's
treatment she could promenade arm in arm with him on a Danube river
passenger boat in 1990 which was chartered for the celebration of
his 80th birthday. At his birthday party, which coincided with
the annual meeting of the International Parkinson Foundation,
he was honoured by the President of Austria with the highest
decoration for civilians. Also many of his peers expressed their
admiration for his achievements and we were proud to present him
with a special plaque commissioned for this occasion by the
Parkinson Foundation of Canada. It was Professor Birkmayer who first
dispensed Selegiline (known to us as Deprenyl or Eldepryl; originally
in Hungary as Jumex) in 1973 to his patients and established its
benefit for Parkinson sufferers. This was just one of the new
specialty drug introductions originated by Dr. Birkmayer - the
list is long and varied. He was always prepared to experiment for
the sake of his patients and their welfare but even more so was
always ready with his pen to produce a drawing for his patient
to explain the cause of Parkinson. He lectured all over the
world and was constantly called upon to treat world leaders
afflicted with Parkinson, resulting in many trips to China and
the erstwhile Soviet Union among many others. The Parkinson
suffering world has lost one of its greatest researchers and
practitioners and I have lost a very good friend to whom
I shall be eternally grateful for keeping my wife in such good
physical condition for more than 26 years since the first diagnosis.
Rest in peace Walther - we shall always remember.
Dr. Fred Mann