From:   PARKINSN: Parkinson's Disease - Information Exchange Network on behalf
of Piet Van der Poorten
Sent:   Sunday, December 22, 1996 11:25 AM
To:     Multiple recipients of list PARKINSN
Subject:        Mental comfort

Hi to all,

    A month ago, my best - American - friend recommended me to read the
book "When bad things happen to good people" (don't worry I found out it
has the same effect on bad). The author is Harold S.Kushner, the editor is
Simon & Schuster, New-York. This book is written not only for people like
us, with a disease, but also for the healthy Christian, Jew, Muslim,
doubter or non believer. His second book "When all you've ever wanted isn't
enough" is even better. I know the titles sounds phony, but the ideas
inside aren't. During my life I've read plenty of books, only those two did
have a realistic impact on my life. His ideas have the power to change
things. The text is written clearly and simply to follow. It takes only a
minimum effort to understand what the author means, and it's easy to make
your own conclusions. It's worth every minute of your time.

   I'd like to use this opportunity to say a few words of thanks. Since
about one year I'm subscribed to this list. Most of the people are North
Americans, so at the beginning I was a little scared there would be not
only a perceptible culture gap, but especially a different way of handling
with problems and feelings related to our PD. At this moment I know better,
if there is a difference it's only our language. Once passed this barrier,
a world opened and showed the same problems, the same struggle, the same
feelings, the same questions as in Europe. Last month I had a short IRC -
BTW I know how one-way talking to @W feels Barb:) - contact with John
Cottingham. I could feel his energy of life through the line. But he's not
the only one, there are so many other caring persons in our group. This
instrument of support gave me even the chance to develop a profound and
close (life time) friendship with another Parkie.
I always felt myself a guest to the list, someone who's allowed to read
what's going on in the North American PD society, no less no more. I still
do, but my sympathy to the American and Canadians friends is bigger then
ever. You're a friendly and very nice people. Barbara Patterson, you
deserve a monument! As an European I'm proud to be a member of this group.

Happy New Year to all of you.
Piet Van der Poorten (Belgium)