TO: Everyone on the Parkinson Network ---

As my family lounges in the den watching a movie while their Christmas dinner
settles, I sit at my computer reflecting on all the good that's come my way
recently.

     *   Two weeks ago, our son and daughter-in-law welcomed their second
born --- our second grandchild and first grandson. Ian Houston checked in a 8
lbs. 03 ozs. with a full head of black hair and attempting to cut three
teeth! (Our daughter-in-law confirms that. She's nursing him.) What a
wonderful Christmas present!

     *    During our four-day stay with our son's family, we spent a lot of
time with our two-and-one-half-year-old grandaughter. She's delightful --- a
very demonstative, assertive, entertaining and affectionate child. If you've
never experienced the pure joy  of having a two-year old spontaneously run to
you, climb onto your lap, wrap her arms around you and say, "I love my
grandpa!", then you've missed something very special. Let's just say if I
lived closer to my grandchildren and I could get that same declaration of
pure love about once a week, my life would be perfect.

     *     My 81-year-old father announced earlier this month that he is
getting married in February. (My mother died in 1988.) He wants me to be best
man and his fiancee has invited our grandaughter to serve as flower girl.
Because of this marriage, I will not only have a step-mother, but will also
gain a step-sister. Since I was an only child, I am intrigued about this new
family structure and look forward to becoming friends with my new "sister".

     *     Our daughter, my father and his fiancee all spent Christmas with
us in our new house, nestled in seven acres of woods and decorated to the
hilt by my talented  wife, Shirley.  The only thing missing was a frozen pond
and snow to cover the trees and property. But we live in southeast Texas, so
I'm not holding my breath for that to happen.

      *    Last Friday, my boss called (I telecommute) to tell me Santa had
arrived. My present? A very generous cash bonus, some of which we will use to
pay the airfare for our entire family to travel to my father's wedding.

      Oh, yes. And on Christmas day --- while we opened gifts, drove 60 miles
into Houston for a fancy Christmas dinner, and came back home to play some
new games --- I had no "off" periods.

       I'm certain all of us Parkies can make  a list like this. In fact, I
would suggest that each one of you take a few minutes to reflect on the
positive aspects of your life.
Jot them down and then reveiw them.  Even being a Parkie can be a positive.
In my case, I have found new friends on the Parkinson's Network; made my
first writing sale with a story about Parkinson's; and am now working out of
my home thanks to a company that understands what I face each day.

        I have Parkinson's. But I also have a lot to be thankful for.  That's
what I plan to concentrate on in the future.

       As we all wind down from Christmas and move toward a new year, I would
like to wish all members of the Parkinson's Network a 1997 filled with hope,
health, happiness amd love --- and a major breakthough in the treatment of
Parkinson's.

Best wishes,

Stan Houston (53/5)
Cat Spring, TX 78933