I have been browsing this list for about a month or two and decided to put
in my 2 cents and say HELLO to every one along with best wishes for the
holidays.
My name is Bob Anibal  78, my wife Cecily 76 is the Parkinsonian of about
20+ years. Believe it or not she is still very functional, a little
forgetful ( but not as much as me ) not quite as sharp as she used to be,
occasionally freezes up, and can't walk, I then take her hand and chant
1-2-3-go a few times, we laugh and pretty soon she is able to take the
first step and once the first step is taken off  we go. The development of
the PD has been very slow, thank God.  We both sing in the choir at church
- she used to be the organist- choir director, but had to give it up a few
years ago. She worked in the local community college office and took an
early retirement about 3-4 years after the PD started . I do most of the
cooking, as a retired chemist I find cooking not so much different from my
work. ( of course I'm retired long ago ). and enjoy trying new things. I
can't resist collecting cook-books so we have fun. To fill out my time a
little I started taking piano lessons about a year ago. Cecily gave up
playing the piano at the same time she quit the organist job. We watch a
lot of TV and read a lot.  Don't ask me how many magazines we subscribe to.

She doesn't use the computer -  hands too shaky for the mouse. I read all
the notices here - save the ones I think she would like to read and print
them off .
Our experiences with neurologists has been varied. I strongly suggest
anyone looking for a NR be VERY careful to make sure the man, or woman as
the case may be  really knows his way around the PD area.  We were living
in Massachusetts when the Sinemet CD came out. We then moved back to the
Niagara Falls NY area aand went ot a MOvement disorders clinic in
Rochester.
Got tired of driving 150 miles a day  and went to a NR recommended by our
GP. During this period we had to start sleeping in separate beds because of
her thrashing around. Finally went to a NR that a friend was going to. He
took one look at her and said  " That is not Parkinson's disease, that is
over-medication "  I immediately thought of 3 different so-called
neurologists  that I would like to commit mayhem on.  He cut her dosage of
the sinemet cr to 1/5 th - she was taking 2 1/2 time the required  dosage.
The cut was done slowly of course. The thrashing pretty well disappeared.
To those of you who offer a little humor here, keep it up!!!! We find that
it is better to get a little laugh where we can.
To the fellow that had to move his ( or was it her ) parent to Arizona. We
used to winter in Tucson and found out that there is a Neurologist ( notice
the Capital N )  at the Uof A medical school that is one of the best in the
counry. PD'ers that winter there generally see him while there. We went to
a talk he gave to the local PD  chapter. What a personality- what empathy.
Have to make appointments with him months ahead.
We are looking for a better year ahead, Cecily is getting radiation for
breast cancer - very optimistic- a very small lump.  I'm getting treated
for bleeding ulcer.  we figure things can only improve in th e new year.
Every day that I check in here I feel a little glow - keep it up !!
Love to all.
Bob Anibal   e-mail  at  [log in to unmask]