From:   "Carol Holt" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:   Fri, 27 Dec 1996 08:37:52 -0500
Subject: Re: Hycodan - "Check with your pharmacist"

I would be nice if that were true.  But, I found I can't totally rely
my my pharmacist to know everything about every drug.   I would
rather not mention the store at which I purchase *all* my medications.

I contracted shingles at Thanksgiving.  They are *extremely* painful.
Along with the anti-viral medication, my doctor prescribed a
painkiller. I had made him verify that the antiviral medication was
okay, so I assumed the painkiller was too.  I called my neurologist
and spoke to her nurse who is very knowledgeable about Parkinson's
and Parkinson's drugs.  She did not react to the name of the drug,
but I did not specifically ask her if it was okay.

However, I did verify again with my pharmacist that it was okay to
take the painkiller with Eldepryl.  She assured me that is was.
After two days, I was still miserable and called an 800 number I have
to check on drug interactions.  Again, I was assured that it was
okay.  The next morning, after my second night of only 1.5 hours sleep
(I am lucky in that I can sleep for 8 hours at a stretch), I got out my
drug interaction CD and looked up the painkiller.  It was a narcotic,
extremely dangerous for someone taking Eldepryl.

I called my neurologist again and had her check the exact drug I was
taking.  She verified that I should stop immediately.

Next time, I do two things:  Check my drug CD and call my neurologist
to have her check the advisability of my taking the specific drug.

Be careful!  Double-check.

(Note:  I trust all my doctors and consider this an honest, although
very serious mistake.  I'm not changing doctors, just taking more
responsibility for my health care.)

Carol

> Date:          Thu, 26 Dec 1996 15:43:05 -0500
> From:          Marling McReynolds <[log in to unmask]>
> Subject:       Re: Hycodan

> My pharmacist told me not to take any of those type pain killers while
taking > Eldepryl, but I don't know if they react with the other meds.
Your best bet is > to ask a pharmacist. > Marling McReynolds
[log in to unmask] > > Carol Holt [log in to unmask] Wife, mother,
breast cancer survivor, parkinsonian