Hi!  My mother had a triple bypass operation a few  years ago.  She also
has Narcolepsi, which she takes medicine for.  Unlike other older
friends of mine who got better after the bypass, she started slowing
down and shuffling.  She was in denial a long time about the changes in
her walking, her forgetfullness, etc.  (She used to be a very active
person, full of energy.)

Finally a doctor diagnosed her as having Parkinson's.   She began taking
2 Sinemet a day, a yellow pill.  She improved dramatically.  However, a
few months ago, she developed "dry mouth" to a state where she has to
chew gum all the time (which she hates, she never liked gum.)

She had problems getting to talk to her doctor (she left messages which
were never returned, etc.) so she switched doctors.  Her new doctor
wanted to see if she really had Parkinson's, and took her off all
medication for that.  Within a few days, she couldn't even get out of
bed.

He put her on a tan version of Sinemet C.R., which she takes three times
a day, and Eldepryl twice a day (I hope the spelling is correct, she
read them to me over the phone.)

She continues to have the dry mouth problem, and even though it has been
several weeks since resuming medication, she has not gotten much better
physically.  She cannot drive now, and has trouble doing things like
dressing, etc., which she could do before going off all medication.

I live 60 miles away, work, and am trying to take care of my son.  She
calls me up and cries, and says I am a bad daughter because I can't drop
everything to come and spend the days with her.  I  guess I am now a
member of the "sandwich" generation, and I feel torn between work, my
son, my boyfriend, and my mom.

I guess I joined this mailing list for support, but I also have some
questions:

1) Her pills are very expensive, she's on Medicare, but spends about
$4,000 a year on meds.  Most health care plans won't accept her because
she has Parkinson's.  She retired, but is there any program of
Disability (she lives in California) that you can get, or subsidy of
medication?  She says she can't get Disability because she retired.  Is
that correct?  She had a house, and her income is about $17,000 a year
(from Social Security and some CDs.)

2) Any suggestions as to the drymouth?

3) Her doctor suggested she take another medication, but it apparently
has side affects like hallucinations.  I keep telling her that these
days, doctors HAVE to tell you all the side effects, but that doesn't
mean you will have them.  Any suggestions?  Are there any other medicin
es she could take other than Sinemet?

4) Are there any Federal, City, or State programs that deliver
groceries, or any programs where they drive you to doctor appointments?

Thanks for all you help!

Nancy