Hi, folks.  With all the discussion about wasting internet access time, I
almost hesitate to add my 2 cents worth (for those using other
currencies, please substitute 2 of the lowest denomination you use).

About John Walker...he offered to send any Web information to the Parkinsn
list, free of charge and I accepted.  He, like many others, pays for his
time on email and on the Web so this service he provides for us costs him
money and he is not a rich man. He has assured me that he will not use
his connection to the Parkinsn list for profit so the 'advertising'
aspect does not apply.  His goal is to provide easy access to information
to those of us on the list who do not have the time, energy, skills, or
money to look it up ourselves.  He does, indeed, have a sister with
Parkinson's....me.  The discussion about sons or daughters not being able
to talk to a parent about Parkinson's also applies, in this case, to
my brother.  This is his way of trying to make things better for me.  He
has also spent countless hours in front of my computer writing 'scripts'
so that I can just click a button and many repetitive listowner tasks are
done for me.  He was here this evening and suggested that I not say that
he is my brother so anyone who was annoyed with him would not extend that
feeling to me, too.

About David Boots...David has posted many wonderful things to our list..
one I remember especially is his 'Open Letter to God' in which he shared
with us his grief and rage at the diagnosis of Parkinson's when he was in
his early 30's.  This letter was so honest and open that he had his own
group of list-friends...called, informally, 'Bootsnet'.  David is
fighting his battle with Parkinson's alone...no caregivers...in fact, one
of his most humorous posts was about trying to undo his belt buckle when
his meds had worn off..I think that his solution was very creative.  I would
not presume to guess why David's most recent posts have 'sounded' so
angry.  I know that I, for one, want the 'real' David back.

About rules...I am the listowner of another list...the purpose of the
list is to discuss ways and means to lessen the amount of violence in our
world.  One or two members chose to interpret each message as being 'pro
gun control' and sent scathing comments both on and off the list to
almost each message posted.  They have almost completely killed that list.
I finally had to 'moderate' the list in order to prevent them from
verbally abusing our other members...some of whom were very fragile
victims of violence.  That list is almost completely inactive.  I don't
want that to happen here.  I think we are all mature enough to know how
to interact with other people in a supportive manner..we're all in this
boat together...pwp's and caregivers and families...surely we don't need
rules.

Okay!  Maybe one rule!  Please do not include the complete message you
are replying to in your message.  When the listserver sees the included line
pointing to the list, it thinks it has found a 'looping' message and
sends it to me as an error message. I try to catch as many of them as I
can, but I'm sure I miss many of them.

I wish each one of you a Happy New Year.  Peace.

Barb

Barbara Patterson                               [log in to unmask]
HSC 2J22                                        905-525-9140, ext. 22403
                        School of Nursing