Hello, All:

Just when I resigned myself that I will put on my surfing attire and get back
to my "aimless, but always fruitful" surfing of the net, an intriguing project
raised a beckoning finger...
Dr. Ken Janis, a member of our list, sent me note about the dismal lack of
scientific information on PD drug interactions. He writes:

"I have just read your posting from 20 December on Drug Problems in PD.
I share your concerns and feel that it is a major issue.
As an Anesthesiologist with thirty years experience and a career suddenly
terminated by those three words:  "you've got Parkinson's" I am involved
deeply in this issue.   I am on the faculty of the Univ of  New Mexico and
had been Assistant Chief of Anesthesia at the VA before all this exploded in
94-95.

Searching the literature is limited for me since I have severe convergence
insuffiency which restricts my ability to read and/or concentrate at close
distances BUT I am convinced that there is precious little out there that
reflects the current state of the problem.  This deficit will worsen as new
drugs with different effects on neurotransmitter physiology are realeased for
common use.

I am consulting with several programs on the Anesthetic management of the
PDpatient and in particular the problems posed by Pallidotomy.  I hope to
eventually have enuf material to write a review article for the Anesthetic
literature which I hope would help prevent some of these horror stories which
are real to us.

Any help we can give each other in educating both sides of the medical world
about PD and the potential medication disasters will benefit a lot of people.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Ken Janis, MD
Univ of  New Mexico"
----------------------
Ofcourse, I wrote back asking if there was any way I could help--remebering
that I have no medical background. But I can follow instructions and perhaps
raise a level of interest among the MANY qualified group members on this
listserv.
Dr. Janis wrote back:

"Subject:       Re: PD Anesthesia and Surgery

Thanks for the quick response -- I am limited in duration and intensity of
visual function at close range but with the proper pacing I can work with you
or anyone else on this project.  It is really needed and we need to work out
something.
 The more people we involve, the wider spread will be the vital message.  I
am a novice at this computer game but am learning with the help of my son who
just got promoted to "Senior Network Consultant" for a bank chain in
California.

I have put a couple of postings out on our PD List with few returns.

In addition, I have been working with GasNet (list server for Anesthesiology)
and have collected information on management of  the PD patient for
Pallidotomy and some of the problems associated with the PD patient in the
peri-operative period.
 It is amazing about how little attention is given to the problems that PD
presents and the dangerous drug interactions that can occur.

Someone put me in contact with Dr. Duvoision (spelling?) who had expressed
interest in the issue but no response up to now.  Once, I even consulted with
an Anesthesiolgist in the Czech Republic (via email) who wanted some advice
about a PD patient scheduled for coronary bypass.  In addition, I am working
with our neurosurgeon here, who is starting to do operative management of PD
patients.

Brief background:  Age 57-diagnosis made 9/94; disability "retirement" 3/95.
Main presenting concern was dramatic fall off in marathon times and
observations by OR personnel of impairment (denial is not just a river in
Egypt).

1960 Colgate Univ BA
1964  NYU  MD
64-65  Boston City Hospital -- Surgery
65-67   Massachusetts General Hospital -Anesthesiology
67-68    Stanford Univ - Fellowship
68-74     USAF,  Univ of Florida, Harvard Univ -- Faculty
74-92   Community Practice Laguna Hills,CA and faculty Univ California
92-95    Assistant Chief and Director of Education for Anesthesiology at VA
Hospital
            Associate Professor  Univ of New Mexico School of Medicine
95-----    Consultant in Education and Clinical Faculty   UNM

I have written and lectured extensively on the subject of Anesthesia for the
Elderly Patient and have been heavily involved in education (particularly
teaching teachers how to teach).    I don't mean to "blow horn" but this will
give you a feeling of my background and experience.

My eyes are like a parking meter where you can't see how much time is left
and are not allowed to add more quarters; so I work until they say --"enuf-we
don't know what you plan to do for the rest of  the day, but we are done !!!"

Looking forward to working on this project  !!!!"
--------------------------------------

Are there any interested PWPs or caregivers, friends, medical librarians,
researchers, etc.. who would be willing to give a helping hand? I will be
happy to search medline, or any other internet source. You can, ofcourse,
contact Dr. Janis directly. To my mind, this is an opportunity to take control
of our situation and become part of the solution! And more importantly, work
with one of OUR OWN who needs helping hands/eyes.
Please respond to:
Dr. Ken Janis -- [log in to unmask]

Looking for a better tomorrow!!
Margaret