                                 RTK.NET Mail 245307   Jan  1 22:23:18 1996

Josh, I can't answer many of your questions, but can hopefully give a couple
of suggestions.

First, Amitriptyline is a tricyclic anti-depressant and is likely the one
most frequently prescribed for sleep troubles. The dosage is usually
much lower than that used for depression, and besides sleepiness, the
main side-effect frequently experienced is dry mouth. Even though it's
a pretty mild med, your neurologist should approve your father-in-laws
use of it. I personally find it's most helpful if I take it 2 hours before
I plan to go to bed rather than just before.

Someone else asked whether he's on Eldepryl. Another option besides stopping
Eldepryl would be to ask his neurologist if he could take the Eldepryl
earlier in the day. I've heard of people getting improved sleep just by
changing the dosage time, which it's usually ok to do.

I also recommend getting a basic book on insomnia prevention tips from a
local library. Avoiding caffeine and alcohol, watching what he eats in the
evening and when, and creating regular night time rituals can all help, as
can basic relaxation/sleep techniques (like counting sheep--it should
involve both counting and a visualization component, although I find
counting backwards most successful & I usually imagine descending stairs).
Let me know if you want more info on this kind of stuff.

I hope you find something helpful for your father-in-law.

Sherri Cave Puchalsky