I know lots; Anthony knows a whole lot more.  But it was poetry I
love and chose to memorize (or, like "My Last Duchess," got
memorized inadvertently).  The love comes before the memorization,
or, I think, should.

> 1.  I'm interested that you'd use a common, shared forum to
> indicate your "dread" of "the idea of" of common, shared culture.

Nobody's forced to join this forum or share this culture; I think
that's really the issue.  I don't want to put words in Anthony's
mouth (I'll let Shakespeare do that), but I think this is about
power.  I don't think he dreads a common, shared culture; but I'd
guess he dreads the imposition of one culture on others.

> You ask "which poetry, whose culture?"  Two answers:  One:  As
> long as we live in communities, it will be the poetry and the
> culture of our communities.

It's not clear to me that my first year students and I share a common
culture.  I want to bring them to share mine (ours; that of academia
and the life of the mind), sure -- but the question is whether
assigning them to memorize "Abou Ben Adhem" does that effectively.

                                        -- Russ
                                __|~_
Russell A. Hunt            __|~_)_ __)_|~_   Department of English
St. Thomas University      )_ __)_|_)__ __)  PHONE: (506) 4520644
Fredericton, New Brunswick   |  )____) |       FAX: (506) 450-9615
E3B 5G3   CANADA          ___|____|____|____/    [log in to unmask]
       ~~~~~~~~ http://www.StThomasU.ca/hunt/hunt.htm ~~~~~~~~