At 03:16 PM 1/22/97 -0500, you wrote:
>Steve--
>
>        I seriously doubt the interpretation of #4 that you offer.  It
>probably refers to the "playing" before the golden calf; see the OT Latin
>text.
>        Further, I'd hesitate to call any of these definitions of the
>enactment of scripts.
>
>                                Larry Clopper

        On thinking about #4, you're probably right.  I would have to
disagree, however, with the general tendency to discount possible dramatic
references because of their supposed lack of specificity.   Clearly "to tell
a story" "narrare" can have a broad meaning as inclusive of "to tell a story
as part of a play" as not. Caveat lector, as always. It is telling I believe
that the author of the glossary chose "narrare" to illuminate "ludo", a verb
that classically has connotations of mocking and derision (decipere?) but in
this case is synonymous with  "telling" and "describing". It is also
important to note that the glossary is of German not English origin.
Narration as part of a figural or iconographic procession is rare in
medieval English drama, not so on the continent. Whether these processions
count as drama is another kettle of fish altogether...

-Steve K.

Steven James Killings
Centre for Medieval Studies
http://www.chass.utoronto.ca:8080/~killings/