Hello, All,

I am a 70-year old retired Bible translator/photojournalist.  I have always
had somewhat of a "nervous disposition." My mother and her brother both had
tremors over a period of many years that were thought not to be PD.  By
1992 I began to notice a slight tremor in my right hand, but I could still
handhold a camera at slow shutter speeds.

In July of that year (after the Gulf War) I undertook a stressful trip to
northern Iraq to visit some Kurdish friends.  When I reached eastern Turkey
I discovered my right hand  shaking so much I could not countersign my
travellers checks.  I still managed to complete my trip and took many
photos that appeared sharp enough.

Upon returning to the States I remarked to my wife that my right arm
"didn't feel like my arm."  But I coped for three years before I consulted
a neurologist.  I must be sort of like those Europeans the Frenchman was
describing.  The doctor diagnosed PD plus Essential Tremor inherited from
my mother.

He put me on Carb/Levdopa 10/100 for PD and Mysoline 50 for the ET.  For
most of the next year (1996) I took two of each daily.  I haven't seen my
doctor for six months but plan to make an appointment for later this month.

Now I am taking 3 tablets a day.  I sense the PD progressing slowly and the
symptoms vary from day to day and from hour to hour.  I am typing this in
the earlymorning and managing pretty well with my shaky right hand.  My
right leg is quivering quite a bit as I sit here.  Sometimes I can write OK
for a short note, other times, no...

Eating sweets worsens my condition noticeably with the accompanying
hypoglycemic reaction, I believe.  I try to eat a balanced diet with lots
of vegetables and fruits, and I take supplements.  Chromium picolinate
helps cope with refined carbohydrates, which I can't resist totally.  I
have always needed lots of protein and so I try to juggle the Sinemet
between the proteins.  In other words I take my medicine first thing in the
morning on an empty stomach, then right before lunch or just before dinner.
 Again around bedtime.

If anyone is interested in the supplements I take and what I think they do
for me, email me privately.  I am a dealer as well as a user and I know
this is not a place for advertisements.

I appreciate this forum that I just came across recently while browsing the
internet.  I don't post very often but I'll be reading with great interest.

Best wishes to all,

Paul Smith    [log in to unmask]