To:  Charles Meyer, PWP with MD
From:  George Andes, PWP without MD

Your posting about FTS was right on the money.  The value of strict double blind
experiments is hard for many of us laymen to come to grips with.  The placebo
effect is not obvious to the subject who has been given the sugar pill instead
of the real stuff; neither is the examiner who knows who is taking the sugar
pill and who is taking the real stuff aware of the extent of the unconscious
bias present in his observations.  Only "self-imposed blindness" can create the
objectivity necessary to get useful results.

When I say this, I am really talking to myself.  I am a candidate for FTS
waiting eagerly and in terror for the call summoning me to have a hole drilled
in my skull and a needle inserted in my brain by a person I have never met, and
at that with the full understanding that there is a one in three chance that my
barely suppressed instinct to run away as fast as I can may be wasted effort, an
effort expended for a mock ceremony, a placebo operation.