Re: Demerol--it is wise to be cautious, of course. In our hospital
experience, after Peter's hernia surgery a year ago, he did have a couple of
shots of Demerol (not being on Eldepryl) and  the problem he had post-op
appreared to be the result of being given an opiate (Percocet/Doxicet) which
contains Oxycodone, a NO-NO for sure.  As soon as the Percocet was stopped, he
improved--allowing for the stress-induced symptom aggravation of the surgery
of course.  It's hard to say what caused the increased symptoms, but I do
blame the Oxycodone ,FWIW.  In the past, with a couple of surgeries, I who
am NOT a PWP rec'd repeated shots of Demerol, and the problem was that the
nurse gave them all in the same place on my thigh--so I had a hard area there
for many months, and the word was that the site of injection should have varied
some.  PWPs are pretty limited apparently in the pain kilkers they can have
safely--we need more research on this!
Camilla Flintermann,CG for Peter 78/7,Ohio