Van:  [log in to unmask]
Datum: 3-01-97 19:32
Onderwerp Antw: Cultural U-turn
Adres:  Aan: "PARKINSN: Parkinson's Disease - Information Exchange Network"

Doctors may be wrong, or away for vacations, but medical
diagnosis and prescription are part of their job. PD
patients or caregivers, cannot take into account such things
as side effects, interaction between drugs, etc..."

Since 85% of the subscribers to this list are American, I will
apply the proverb "in Rome, do as Romans do" and do my best
to help other subscribers.

By the way, there is another cultural difference between USA and
France. You seem to look up at your lawyers as we look up at
our doctors, and vice-versa. Should we consider posting some
sort of individual or collective disclaimer ?

I do hope I am not frustrating nor irritating anyone, and if I
do, I apologizein advance

Bernard JOLY

Bernard,

Of course cultural differences between the US and La France
exist. In respect to the point of critical patients Holland
is more like the US than like France.The point however is
to my opinion not respect or disrespect. I respect my neuro
highly and if I didn't I would go to another. I respect him
because he is not only an expert but also careful, knowing
always exact what was talked about a session before. I too
feel respected by him. He is the doctor and I am the patient,
but that does n't mean I have no brains and don't know any-
thing myself. When I ask him something I am not criticising
him and I take his answers very serious.

Cultural differences becoming visible can be an interesting
things of cross-cultural contacts. Individues confronted
with them tend to feel they should stand up for their own
culture. Doing that, the interesting thing is lost. And
even being sometimes convinced on a point your own culture
is the best, it is usefull to think that only individues
really exist and every individue is born in a culture he
was not free to choose and who neither is is his fault nor
his (or her; should that always be added or is that fasse)
merit.

Now I realise that starting this mailing I too stood up for my
own culture. It seems to be unavoidable.

                                  Ida Kamphuis