 GRASS ROOTS FUND RAISING

On November 9, 1996 I placed an idea on the listserv which is in abbreviated
form here.

I am a person with Parkinson ‘s Disease diagnosed 4 years but manifesting PD
symptoms for about  8 years. My work hours are reduced to about 3 hours per
day and that may decrease in the near future. About 2 months ago I started
 searching for a project to help the PD community,  to occupy my time and to
maintain my optimistic outlook on life.

Working on the premises that there are  1,500,000 PWP in North America and
assuming we could collect $ 100 per person we could raise twice the money
proposed in the Udall Bill. Thus was born the idea of starting with this
group and branching out from here to try and connect with as many PWP, their
friends and  their CG’s to begin a grass roots  fund raiser drive. I also
thought that a pledge of a monthly giving would generate greater
participation with small monthly amounts adding up to a greater donation than
an annual one shot deal. Since most of us pay a monthly server to be on the
internet we could encourage ourselves to write a donation at the same time we
pay our monthly server bill.

The majority of comments from this original post were positive but an
underlying theme was the suggestion that we concentrate our donations with 1
foundation or organization. Each suggestion had there own choice for a
candidate to be the recipient of the funds. I soon realized that choosing one
recipient would alienate a substantial number of the group’s members.  (More
later)_

At this point I would like to state that I am working in an individual
capacity without affiliation with an other person or organization.

I propose that we do not interrupt any gifting to Parkinson causes that you
may currently have in place.  But for those who have not made a contribution
and to those who can donate more please consider the falling:

1. Make a monthly contribution by check to the PD organization of your
choice.
2. Send the check to me to tabulate the statistics on the donations.
3. I will then forward your check on to the institution named on the check..
I suggest that you indicate in the  memo area on  the check for “PD Research
only.” If that is your intention.
4.. Your canceled check will be verification that the checks were forwarded
to the respective organizations. My firm in 1996 will match donations
received up to $ 25.00 per donation and for a gross total of $ 500.00 and
will make another matching offer  for 1997.
5. The PDF has offered to send an acknowledgment of any funds received for a
two month period to assist in establishing my credibility.. I did not
approach any other organizations with this request.

At no time must anybody be made to feel that they must make a donation to
participate on Barbara Patterson’s listserv.

All donations will remain confidential, and I will not disclose names or
amounts without the expressed written permission of the donor.

 I am  convincencet we need to help ourselves in case Big Brother lets us
down again.

Please consider making a contribution if only $1.00 a month. This list is
projected to grow to 8,000 members within three years  which could project to
$ 8000 per month at the minimal amount of giving.

Lets get started

If anyone has questions
I can be reached at 718-625 2300 9-12 Monday through Thursday
or                            718-8585893 after 12  Monday through Thursday

or [log in to unmask]

help me get this started because I have a lot more ideas to implement as soon
as this gets off the ground.

Thanks Dale Severance  55years old and a Parkie since age 47