On Wed 01 Jan, Karen Zarkadas wrote:
> Hello,
>
>           I am looking for information about fetal transplant surgery done
> at the Karolinska  hospital in Sweden . Does anyone know if the surgery  is
> available as a treatment  and not just a research  program?  Thanks
>
>                                             Karen Z.

Hello Karen - As I understand it (and my knowledge is not obtained first hand
so I may be wrong) it takes a lot of money, but on top of that, because it is
still a research programme, you need some way in, and that money can't buy.
It is sad, but as I understand it the Swedish researchers, unencumbered by
the American rules relating to use of fetal tissue (the 3 weeks rule), are
achieving quite outstanding results.  However, the techniques and source
material rules which the practical Swedish teams have found to be necessary
would not be sanctioned in the USA in a million years.
--
Brian Collins  <[log in to unmask]>