Allan Rosenberg wrote:

> After several years of avoiding protein before the evening meal, Barbara
> deveoped a fluid pocket under her left eye. Her internist - after ruling out
> sinus problems and allergy, ran blood tests that led him to believe she was
> suffering from a protein and vitamin deficiency. She has now started to
> ingest protein at most meals and the fluid retention problem seems to have
> completely dissappeared.

Dear Allen,
Protein avoidance is of great concern for exactly the reasons you give.
Because meat is rich in iron and zinc, as well as high-quality protein,
she may well have become deficient in those minerals as well as protein.

 If your wife is having difficulty with "freezing" due to protein during
the day, she might benefit by trying a 7:1 ratio of protein to
carbohydrate. The large amount of carbohydrate causes a rush of insulin
when it reaches the bloodstream. The insulin removes some of the amino
acids (protein) from the bloodstream along with the glucose
(carbohydrate), thus freeing the Sinemet to reach the blood-brain
barrier. However, persons with diabetes should NOT try this plan without
consulting a physician or registered dietitian.

1) Keep meat, fish and poultry portions to one-ounce servings, and add
bread and fruit with each portion.  This will raise the ratio of
carbohydrate to protein. For example, one egg, with a slice of toast, a
glass of orange juice, and a cup of applesauce is a good breakfast
choice.

2) Use plant protein as much as possible--cooked dried beans, nuts,
seeds, for instance. Dried beans have a high ratio of carbohydrate to
protein. Baked beans, 3-bean salad, Navy bean soup, refried beans, all
are very good choices. Again, add fruit juice or fresh fruit to increase
the carbohydrate content of the meal. For example, one-and-one-half cups
of bean soup, along with some crackers, a glass of fruit juice, and a
couple of kiwis.

3) Keep fatty foods minimal. A high-fat meal can take 2-3 hours to leave
the stomach. Any Sinemet that is in the stomach will also take 2-3 hours
to leave the stomach, shortening its useful lifespan.

If you wife is willing, I'd recommend trying soy milk instead of regular
milk, for part of the time--for instance, on cereal. Get the kind that
has 3 grams of protein per 8 oz serving, and is fortified with calcium.
She can use more of this milk on cereal without the protein interference
that occurs from cow's milk.

My very best to you and your wife,
Kathrynne

--