Bruce wrote:
My brother said that he heard that Sinemet was derived from a Greek herb
and that he wanted to find the name of that herb to learn more about a
possible natural treatment.  I know this sounds hokey, but if this is out
in left field, I'm sure you'll (gently) clue me in.

A word of caution for all of those who seek herbal remedies.

Surely, the oldest herbal remedy used in modern medicine was Digitalis leaf
(or Foxglove) which was used to treat congestive heart failure.  I remember
giving the crushed leaf in pill form as a young nurse (I'm dating myself
here).  That preparation was discontinued (sometime in the 1970's) because
it was discovered that the effective ingredients varied in potency from
pill to pill  due to the different amounts of Digitalis present in each
leaf.

Herbal medicine also varies in potency for the same reasons.  So, while one
preparation may be very effective another may not offer the same
therapeutic effect.

Frankly, it is beyond me why people consider herbs to be safer than
pharmaceuticals.  I prefer to rely on the consistency and safety of
manufactured drugs.  Herbs contain the same dangerous ingredients. but do
not offer the assurances of  reliability demanded by the FDA.
------
Regards
Mary Ann