Barbara Mallut wrote:

> In the 20 or so years I've had PD, viewed from where I am today, I can see
> that the internal medicine and/or general MD's I've been to over the years
> showed an abysmal lack of knowledge about PD.  Beyond Sinemet, their lack of
> PD drug awareness simply appeared to be nonexistent.

I'm afraid, that you will see this problem as the norm instead of an
isolated event. As an obstetrical/ newborn infant nurse I would never
presume to tell someone about their problems in another area of medicine
with any kind of authority. I may have a small advantage over someone with
no medical back ground, but it has been years since I have done any kind of
study on asthma, cancer, etc. Similarly a family practice physician,
internist, or GP must keep up with the basics of nearly physical problem
known to man. I think it would be a nearly impossible task no matter how
much continueing education they got. If I were expecting a baby, I would
not consider going to an ortopedic physician for my care and delivery
unless I have no other chioce. I'm sure he knows the basics, but I want
someone who knows more than that. Likewise neurology has several fields of
interest in that specialty. If a PWP goes to a neuro who really prefers an
other area of his specialty you might get good care, but not get as careful
attention as with a physician who find helping PWP very rewarding.
Fortunate is the person with a specific and complicated condition who can
find a GP well informed enough to give him the same care as someone who
specializes in that ailment.
                                          Best Regards to all on the List,
                                          Susan co-CG for Elizabeth 77/7