Greetings, John:

I returned from the break to find this message. (Below)

I don't know you from Adam and have never noticed that your
organization is selling something that might be of use to me. Frankly,
the name looked like plumbing or something like that. However I do know
your signature block and name well because you have posted any number of
extremely helpful items to the
list over the last year or so I have been on. In fact your name stands in
that way. Thank you.

I too do not suffer Parkinsons. But my mother does. I'm here for her.
As for your "advertisement," well, perhaps one might suggest that no
professional ever refer to his/her qualifications (and therefore business
operations) ever on this listserv? That makes no sense to me. Some days
we need doctors, other days we need training relevant to communications
that have have proved to be very useful for many people here.

I wish you well in the new year and ask that you keep up the helpful
postings, such as the IRC items that I noticed just a few minutes ago.

Sincerely,

David
-----

On Thu, 26 Dec 1996, John S. Walker wrote:

> > Date:          Thu, 26 Dec 1996 10:00:33 -0800
> > To:            "John S. Walker" <[log in to unmask]>
> > Subject:       Re: Why is this on the PD-list?!!
>
> > >Why not?
> >
> > Surely you're not as stupid as your above answer indicates.
>
> No of course I am not. I wished to know your reasons for the post.
>

> > Your latest post has nothng to do with PD and only serves to promote
> > your business prominently displayed at the bottom of each of your
> > daily (another subject) messages.
>
> At first glance you are correct. The post has very little to do with
> PD, except that some people on this list have other medical problems
> as well as PD.
>
> As far a spamming the list let's see how well that flies.
>
> 1. I am in business to teach people how to use the Net effectively. I
> charge clients for this service. I make the same service available to
>  list members for free.
>
> 2. I charge clients for conducting research on the Net. This
> service is also extended to list members at no charge.
>
> 3. I produce a daily e-mail newsletter covering new, interesting sites
> as well as news and issues from the Net. There is no charge to list
> members who subscribe.
>

> > Your posts are simply a more high-brow form of SPAM: posts having
> > little to do with PD but serving an outside interest of your own.
> >

> As far a serving an interest of my own you are correct. I do not have
> PD. My sister however does. I do not have the knowledge or experience
> to comment on the various drugs and treatments that are available. The
> only way I can contribute to the list and it's members is to make my
> experience available to them, again at no charge.
>
> You do bring up a valid question however. Are these posts of use to
> the list members. I suggest that we leave that up to them. As this was
> a private communication I will remove your name from it and post a
> copy to the list. A copy of the original message including your name
> will be sent to the list manager so that she is aware of the issue.
>
> The list members should e-mail me direct as I do not believe this
> matter should take up bandwidth on the list itself. I will create a
> digest of responses, send a copy to the list manager and upon request
> send the same digest to any list member that request it.
>
> My e-mail address is [log in to unmask]
>
> Thank you for bringing up a valid point. I can only assume your poor
> choice of words is a result of having a bad day.
>

> _/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/
> _/                                                        _/
> _/        Central Supply & Services                       _/
> _/        (Internet Training and Research)                _/
> _/        PO Box 57247, Jackson Stn.,                     _/
> _/        Hamilton, Ontario, Canada, L8P 4X1              _/
> _/        John S. Walker                                  _/
> _/  Email [log in to unmask]                          _/
> [...]

David Robert Austen
Masters Degree Program in Information Science
Indiana University, Bloomington
Indiana 47405 U.S.A.
Telephone 812 335 8835  Fax 812 335 8598