To Ida K. -
----------

Your moving message regarding your son's and daughter's past and present
reactions to your having PD brought tears to my eyes and started that darn
left hand of mine shaking from the emotion I felt.  You have a lovely way
of expressing yourself, Ida.

Similarily to you, I was diagnosed 18 years ago when my son was ten and my
daughter was six.  Your description of the way your son and daughter have
handled the situation of seeing your symptoms manifested both personally
and when friends are involved very closely parallels my own children's
reactions at first and how those have changed over the years.  Both of my
children, although now in their 20's, have always been (and still are)
very sensitive to my feelings in that they don't want me to think they are
personally concerned not only with me but also themselves regarding the
very real possibility that they may inherit the disease some time in the
future.  Added to this fear, I am sure, is a fear of inheriting the
tendency towards becoming schizophrenic, which is the diagnosis that was
given to my husband 19 years ago after he suffered a job-related mental
breakdown.  I feel this is a terrible burden for them to carry around on
their young shoulders and I worry about them a great deal.

When your children are concerned, you feel their pain much more than you
feel your own - no matter what their age.

Regards and Thank you's,

JANICE LONG