10/13/95
Neurosciences Institute, Good samaritan hospital, LA

this is only a part of the abstract of the study conducted under Oleg V.
Kopyov, et al. The complete article can be found in Cell Transplantation,
Vol 5, No 2, pp. 327-337, 1996
if you can't find the original study please sent me your snail address and
i will send you the copy of this and few other recent studies.

Abstract
This study reports our findings from 22 patients (ages ranging from 42 to
73 yr; mean=55.2) with recalicrant idiopathic PD who received implants of
fetal ventral mesencephalic tissue using an MRI-guided stereotactic
procedure and who have been followed for at least 6 mo postoperatively,
employing the guidelines established by the Core Assessment Program for
Intracerebral Transplantations. Evaluations were videotaped and were
performed both on and off levedopa medications. To date, we have seven
patients with 24 mo, three with 18 mo, three with 12 mo, and nine with 6
mo of post-surgical assessments. Comparing surgical outcomes  to levels
prior to fetal transplants we found: 1) mean levedopa levels were reduced
46% at 6 mo, 12% at 12 mo, 20% at 18mo, and 54% at 24 mo. 2) Unified
Parkinson's Disease Rating Scale (UPDRS) scores with patients on levedopa
were improved by an average of 38% (6 mo), 50.2% (12 mo), 69.3% (18 mo),
and 73.9% (24 mo), while off medication scores showed reductions ranging
from 24.7 at 6 mo to 55.1% at 24 mo. Other measures, including Hoehn-Yahr
staging, Activities of Daily living, and dyskinesia rating scales, were
also significantly improved following fetal transplants. Timed motor
tasks (finger dexterity, supination-pronation, foot  tapping, and
Stand-Walk-Sit) performance also demonstrated highly significant
improvements. Patient's self-rating scores indicated that the patients
typically perceived substantial improvents in their condition. However,
substantial variability in the improvements following surgery still
persists and ranges from nominal improvements in performance to
significant changes that can be classified as altering the overall
lifestyle of the patients. To date, 4 of the 22 subjects were considered
by the physicians to be nonresponders; that is, there were no clinically
relevant improvements in these patient's conditions.

I hope this helped you a bit......have a happy new year...
dejana, toronto