Katherine, you wrote....... Since that time
>her health and independence has deteriorated rapidly to the point that we had
>to admit her to a nursing home last Friday. ............

I had to admit my mother to a nursing home last month due to the same
problems you mentioned.  Once we got the meds correct, she improved
dramatically.   Her problem was Prozac.  When we changed to Zoloft, she
improved 100%!  The lesson is to oversee the care, esp. the meds.  Get
second and third opinions.  Put any questions out to this list!  Be
proactive! Question all people involved and inform all involved of what
everyone else said and did.  Do not assume that each person along the line
knows what is going on!  Tell each person what meds have been given and the
quantities.  You can not believe what and how things get fouled up, from
wrong info to missed dosages to doubled up dosages!!
                                                        Peace, John