I am a geriatric psychologist working at an Assisted Living facility in Sun
City, Arizona.The nature of our population, senior citizens requiring
assistence with daily living activities includes about 5 people who are
PDers. Most support system programs required the members  to transport
themselves to the meetings.
Unfortunately our residents were unable to do that, so we started our own
program. We have affiliated ourselves with APDA and the University of
Arizona, APDA  Arizona Chapter. Our program consists of weekly meetings with
the facilities Activites Director, who assists the members with their
program, which includes exercises, talks by group invited professionals and
review of selected articles from PD foundations and information exchange
networks.

We have had additional education programs for staff, including our Certified
Nursing assistants. This leads me into the area that I need help. There is a
need for our staff to be able to document the status of our PD residents.
Sort a like the progress notes nurses keep on their patients in hospital or
skilled care centers.
The format should provide a check mark system that allowes for easy marking
and easy visual review, something like the temperature and blood pressure
readings. I think it should also include information on
gait, degree of tremors, speech etc. It would seem to me that this kind of
reporting would make information transmittal to the resident's neurologist
more specific and easier for staff . The report system must be sensitive
enough to catch early warning signs rather than to respond after the
resident has fallen. Often times, we are not catching the subtles of
medication changes, until sometimes it has negatively affected the resident.

I can think of no better group of people to help us than members of this
list. I have been a member for over 4 months and have learned a lot from the
postings. Although I am in the senrior years, I have not had daily
experience with PD until the last year and a half. I would appreciate any
information you all would like to submit to me. either through the list or
my own email address, [log in to unmask]