Hello all Pds

This is a message from Anne & Mohan Jacob. We are from Pune, a city in
Western India, close to Bombay ( now called Mumbai). Anne had been
diagonised as a patient of PD since way back 1989, when she was in her mid
thirtys.

It was quite shattering when we were told she suffered from PD. Over the
last 7 years we have on our own tried to explore various avenues to
overcome the problem but it has been quite frustrating. Sinemet was not
acceptable to her system, and then she stuck to only Eldepryl, which was
fine till she started getting stiff and immobile. She was put on Tidomet (
a combination of Ldopa and Carbodopa) and we found her reacting to the
medication (Involuntary violent movements). It was fine if such reactions
were predictable and hence controllable, but when it became unpredictable
it became embarrasing.

Over the last two days ever since we have got connected to PARKINSN site
we have realised that we are not exceptions, there are many more similar
PDs, in the height of their youth and suffering even more. While there
are many similarities in the symptoms the reactions are different to the
medication if not in symptoms atleast in the degree of reaction.

Is the medication the only way out? Is there no other way? We are
convinced there are other ways! We have heard of snippets of somebody
being cured. Someone else being able to cope with the problem very
admirably. A friend had contacted PD around the same time as Anne, but
she decided to scrap the medication and fight the problem head on. And
today, though the problem still persists she is able to carry on a normal
life as a succesful Business woman, attending to work, home(she is a
mother of more than one child) and socials with equal vigour and
enthusiasm. So there is hope! If there is hope there is a solution.

Yesterday when we saw the Home Page of PARKINSON's DIGEST, we read about
the cause for passing the UDALL bill in the US senate. Although there is
no update on it we hope that it got cleared. There is hope! And if there
is hope there is a solution.

We have learnt that many of the holistic medical streams claim of cures
for the illness. Take for example ACCUPRESSURE, ACCUPUNTURE, REIKI,
AYURVEDIC, NATUROPATHY, etc. But then we have not come across any focussed
treatment of PD under any of these streams. Maybe someoneelse has and has
benefitted from it. These cases need to be publicised so as to benefit the
entire community of PDs. So there is hope! And of course there is a
solution.

We have been experimenting over the last couple of months with Ayurvedic
treatment supplementing the Allopathic medication. While we experienced
some noticeable benefits, such as more energy, skin glowing,
youthfulness, etc., eventually it all came to naught, as there was an
excess intake of Ldopa. The Ldopa came from natural sources (Ayurvedic
medication) and also from synthetic sources (Allopathic mediaction).
Hence the lesson we learnt from this experience was by all means try out
alternative medication, but never should it be an uncoordinated effort.

Anne felt wonderful for about 15 days after the intake of Ldopa was
drastically reduced. In our enthusiasm when the intake was futher reduced
it had the reverse effect. The symptoms deteriorated. At present we are
experimenting on the correct dosage and medication under the Allopathic
stream of treatment. Very confusing is'nt it. Back to square one. Well
then through this entire journey we picked up HOPE somewhere and
eversince then we believe there is a solution. We are hoping you all will
join us in finding it.

In all the various streams of medications, be it allopathic, homeopathic,
ayurvedic, accupressure, accpuncture, reiki, naturopathy, etc., there are
dedicated individuals who are commited to finding the correct solution
for their patients. We need to bring them together to fight PD.

Whew! Did we say a lot! But then there is hope and then there is a .......

How do we go about it then?? Any ideas??

Happy PDing to all!

bye and regards

Anne & Mohan Jacob
PUNE, Maharashtra, India.