On Tue 07 Jan, Lawrence J. Reynolds wrote:
> I am new to the parkinsn list, a PD veteran of 6+ years, & a volunteer
> for the Amgen GDNF clinical trials which are being conducted at 6 sites
> (5 in US & 1 in Canada) In animal studies GDNF showed great promise in
> increasing the number & size of dopamine brain cells.   48 volunteers
> will be involved in the study - 8 at each site.  the study is divided
> into 4 groups (called "cohorts")  12 people per cohort, 2 at each site.
>  Cohorts 1 & 2 are underway. I will be in cohort 3 which begins sometime
> after Mar. 4 if all goes well.  Each cohort receives a higher dosage of
> GDNF (25% received a placebo) This is a "phase 1 1/2" study, the primary
> purpose being to test the safety & tolerability of the substance so the
> amount of GDNF being injected is relatively small.  I have gathered
> quite a bit of info. & will be happy to share using this forum if there
> is a lot of interest. however this will require many keystrokes fr.
> fingers not as cunning as they once were. If  Joy is the only one
> needing details, perhaps a snail-mail package directly to her will do.
> KEEP IN MIND: GDNF must be injected directly into the brain; a permanent
> ICV port & catheter has to be surgically implanted in the patient's
> head.

Hello Lawrence

Re: Your account of the GDNF trials - I think you underestimate the interest
that is generated by an account of these pioneering  projects 'straight from
the horse's mouth' so to speak. I do understand and sympathise with you at
the amount of typing that this may involve, but if you can find the time to
send an account to the list, I am sure that it will be warmly welcomed.
It seems to me that it takes a certain type of courage to participate in such
a new and untried technique, and without such people the researchers would be
severely handicapped. Be sure that I will be thinking of you and wishing
you well in the future, and I hope to hear from you when you have more news.
--
Brian Collins  <[log in to unmask]>