Brian Collins wrote:

> Hello Joao Paulo. I hope you don't mind if I say that I have in the past
> obtained a lot of quiet amusement from your attempts to understand colloquial
> American. Perhaps you are beginning to understand why it is described as one of
> the most complex languages to learn. However,I just had to write and say, with
> regard to your latest question to Barb, that if William Shakespear had been
> asked to translate the term 'helluva lotta' you would have found him right
> behind you in the queue for the Dictionary!
>   I don't know if it will help, but the words which seem to give you most
> trouble are confusing because they are words that you would recognise, but
> they have been spelled phonetically. That is, as you read the words out, you
> get the sound of the word, but not the spelling. So, once you realise that 'a
> helluva lotta' means 'a hell of a lot of' you have gone a long way towards
> understanding what Barb is saying.  Meanwhile, I keep giggling every time I
> think of W. Shakespear writing 'To be, or not to be; thats a helluva question.
> Don't give up, Barbara OR Jaoa Paulo,
> Regards,
> --
> Brian Collins  <[log in to unmask]>

Brian thanks for the help.It was a good one. I hope Shakespeare,in his
grave, does'nt shake his bones sometimes when our Lil_Honey is inspired
in hers coloquial writings...
As for me,don't worry, I will continue firm here in the trenches of
life.  :-)

Best wishes to you and congratulations for your continuos good efforts
in helping the newcommers,(and the oldies too as a matter of fact), with
PD here in this list.
--
   +----| Joao Paulo de Carvalho   |------ +
   +--------| Salvador-Bahia-Brazil |------+