At 01:50 AM 1/8/97 -0500, you wrote:
>Kathie Tollifsem
>writes :
>>Ihave been using pycnogenol for about 2 years, usually in the 60-120
>>mgs/day dose range.
>
>Thank you for telling us about this - most interesting.  I wonder if there
>have been any objective studies done and if not, why not and if any
>research/drug companies would consider doing some?  (Big ask, but worth
>it..)
>Joy Graham

Joy:

You raise an interesting point about the drug companies and pycnogenol.  Up
to a few days ago I would have said that it would be foolish for a drug
company to pursue such a path.  Why spend hundreds of thousands or even
millions of dollars proving the efficacy of a drug for which they have no
patent or hope of getting a patent.  That's money thrown away.  In fact, it
is to the drug companies benefit to see such drugs fail even if they are
effective.

But a few days ago I stumbled on a web page (which I failed to save) which
mentioned that a drug company is initiating formal testing of
acetyl-l-carnitine for Alzheimers.  I buy ALC by the truckload today and
there a many brands to choose from.  I can't understand why a drug company
would be testing it.  Maybe they've been sentenced to do community service
for all the price gouging they've been doing.  Who knows.

                Ron Reiner (48 + 1yr)