To all list members:

After reading Tuesday's massive digest (80+ pages), I was inspired to bring
all of you up to date on a significant turn of events in my life.

Yesterday, I became a statistic.

I now proudly (what other way is there) wear the badge proclaiming me
DISABLED. Next Tuesday I begin receiving weekly disability checks from my
employer.  I'm 53, so that means a very large, very profitable company will
fork over NEARLY HALF A MILLION DOLLARS in disability income and medical
insurance premiums until I reach age 65.

How's that for a statistic to throw at President Clinton in my Udall Bill
letter?

Funny, I don't feel disabled. Sure, sometimes I walk funny. Other times, it
takes ten  or 12 jabs to disengage that pesky CAPS LOCK key on my computer.
 Or my legs practice field goal kicking while I'm stretched out in my
recliner engrossed in another episode of "Wheel of Fortune." And today, as I
attempted to butter my roll at lunch, I flung soft margarine across the
cafeteria when my arm decided to wave the knife over my head.

Yes, I am disabled. I can still dress myself, run up and down the spiral
staircase in our home, type about 80 wpm when the Sinemet is working, drive
(most of the time), make love, pay our bills, take care of my dog Garp, and
perform hundreds of other day-to-day tasks we all take for granted.

But I can't work.

Why? I hear you ask.

Because Parkinson's apparently has robbed me of the ability to comprehend,
organize and coordinate complex projects. Unfortunately, I was blind to this
metamorphosis. But my boss wasn't. I found out yesterday during my annual
performance review how critical the situation had become. Luckily, my boss
left the decision about my future up to me.

I chose "long-term disability."

>From the tone of this letter, you probably believe it was an easy decision.
Believe me, it wasn't. Last night I had to face the gut-wrenching,
hair-ripping, wailing, fist-through-the-walls truth. After 30 years of
working, I was no longer considered productive. I couldn't cut it, mentally
or physically. Luckily, I'm married to a woman who understands emotional
crises and knows how to deal with them. We slept only about two hours last
night. But today --- with both of us facing the grief --- she drove me 60
miles to my office, where I informed my boss of my decision. Then, my wife
and I celebrated the start of my new life with lunch at one of Houston's
finest cafeterias (see "flinging butter" incident earlier in letter).

Now, I'm a PDP - Permanently Disabled Person. Or, as I perfer to consider
myself, a PPTSHDN: Person Paid To Stay Home and Do Nothing.

Actually, I plan to do a lot. Parkinson's activism. Household duties (my wife
works). And write fiction. Novels. Short stories. Anything to exercise my
mind and hands. Anything to keep my creative brain cells from croaking.
Anything to prevent me from falling into that dark pit of depression.

Here I go. Off into the world of the "paid to stay home."

Wish me luck.

Thanks for listening.

Stan Houston (53/5)
Cat Spring, Texas 78933