To our recently "disabled"

Please, please don't think that just because you've run into being considered
"disabled" in one field, that you'd necessarily be considered that in another
(provided you want to attempt entering another field).

I was declared fully disabled, and was on SSD (Social Security Disability) and
found that wasn't enough to even meet my mortgage payment, much less any other
expenses.  Yet, because of the PD, I KNEW I'd never make it in a typical "9 to
5" working place.

With a  "desperation if the mother of invention" attitude, I "invented"
several jobs, included doing Small Claims Court filings for individuals too
busy or too ignorant to do so themselves.  That grew into court file
preparation for many of these same people, and eventually I was hired by many
to "hold their hand" (sometimes literally!) while they made a Small Claims
Court appearance.  As a non-lawyer I was permitted by the court to speak for
some of these persons as well.  ALL of which earned me additional income, and
of course, all are perfectly legal for me to do.

I also offered at one time a "business-type" letter writing service for those
who used English as a second language, and that brought in income, plus I felt
I was really of service to the people who came to me for assistance.  This job
also enabled me to utilize my paralegal training to some extent, ergo,
additional income.

Then I got into computers.... and, as they say, the rest is history.  NONE of
this happened overnite.  And none of it was easy.   But it all eventually led
up to my current job with Microsoft, which has enabled me to be entirely
self-supporting once again.  AND in ALL these various jobs, I have been able
to work out of my home, often at the time of day when I felt at my peak level
of performance (tho "peak level" is relative with PD)

Take time to grieve for that part of you which you've lost, m'friends, but
don't think you've lost it ALL... 'cause you haven't.  Like me, if you search
within, you'll most likely discover new and untapped parts of yourself which
will enable you to compensate for that which was lost.  Just don't limit
yourself to thinking you MUST do the same old thing because that's what you've
ALWAYS done.  Step outside the boundaries placed by "habit" and you'll see
more than you've ever imagined.

Barb Mallut
"Lil_Honey" on the PD Chat