On Thu 09 Jan, Joao Paulo Carvalho wrote:
For: Joao Paulo Carvalho

Hello Joao Paulo,  I noticed that you are taking Madopar tablets, So I
thought you may find the following items interesting.

   The chemical which is used to protect the levodopa in Madopar tablets
is called Benserazide. It appears to do exactly the same job as Carbidopa
does in the Sinemet tablet.

There is however, one area where Carbidopa and Benserazide MAY behave
differently: It is fairly well known that when taking Sinemet tablets, the
function of the Carbidopa is to protect the levodopa from chemical attack
as it travels through the blood stream on its way to the brain. About
70 to 100mg of Carbidopa per day is required to that job. If more than that
is taken, it starts to 'protect' other Amino Acids in the blood stream,
causing symptoms of tiredness and Lethargy and sometimes sickness. That, I
think, is why Sinemet is available with different doses of Carbidopa
   There is some evidence that with Madopar tablets, the tiredness etc.
symptoms do not occur, even with high doses of Benserazide. Also, Madopar
do not cover a range of Benserazide content that is to be found in Sinemet

  IF anyone has information to support or reject the notion of there not
 being a 'Benserazide toxicity' problem, I would like to see it.
Regards,
--
Brian Collins  <[log in to unmask]>