On Thu, 9 Jan 1997, Bob & Joy Graham wrote:

> I may as well come clean and tell you: these sudden brimmings over the top
> of the eyes not only happen to PWP, but to Carers too.

> In retrospect I should have cried in front of the neurologist - but there -
> oh, one must be brave, practical, resourceful and above all the perfect
> Carer.  WE can't time the shakes for the appointment, But I wonder if it
> would help in our relationships with the doctors if we turned on the tears
> once in a while?

My experience - very short and very very weepy! - is that they just can't
handle it.  The neuro who handed me my diagnosis could not deal with my
emotional response.  I didn't ever go back to him mainly for that
reason.  The second one I saw I put through a much worse exhibition.  I'd
spent two hours prior to my first consultation with him at my first ever
Parkinson's Seminar run by the Assn. and it had made me very angry and
upset.  I was rebelling against being 'forced' to join this 'club' and I
didn't enjoy sitting in an auditorium full of 'sick' people.  And worse.
I sat in the same seat I'd been in to watch a film version of 'La Boheme'
only a couple of weeks before;  I was drenched in the pathos of it all.
All of which the poor guy copped, just because he asked (with a copy of
the first neuro's report on his desk before him) 'how can I help you?'
Of course all this aggravated my symptoms, and demonstrated the
relaetionship of PD/Depression more than adequately.  But I think it left
me branded as just emotionlly labile.  And I resent that.

> It is a constant grieving process to me.

I think we can understand, Joy, as we PWPs watch our near ones suffer.
It is sad.  And now I feel the tears coming on, and the l-hand seizing up.

On we go.  Together.

Love,

Beth.