These are some results of a search. I would suggest that you use
this search engine for further information.

http://www.cyber411.com/search/

-----------------------

progressive supranuclear palsy
(Steele-Richardson-Olszewski syndome)

http://chorus.rad.mcw.edu/doc/02040.html

     about 8% of patients with clinical diagnosis of Parkinson disease
     median age of onset = 64 yrs (range 50-77)

     core clinical syndrome
          supranuclear ophthalmoplegia
          akinesia (presents as frequent falls)
          rigidity
          nuchal dystonia
          pseudobulbar palsy (dysarthria, dysphagia)
          cognitive abnormality leading to dementia

     imaging
          atrophy of midbrain (substantia nigra) and pontine tegmentum
          with abnormally enlarged prepontine cistern variable atrophy
          of globus pallidus some cases show atrophy of
          fronto-temporal regions with enlarged lateral ventricles and
          third ventricle some cases show atrophy of motor cortex

          neuropathological changes
          neuronal loss and gliosis with neurofibrillary tangles
          oculomotor nucleus substantia nigra basal ganglia

     DDx
          cortico-basal degeneration
          multiple system atrophy
               striatonigral degeneration
               Shy-Drager syndrome
               olivo-ponto-cerebellar atrophy
          arteriosclerotic disease with lacunar infarction
          idiopathic Parkinson disease

| CHORUS | James Lowe DM BM BS MRCPath 03/09/95 | Comment |
----------------------

Steele Richardson Syndrome info
http://dem0nmac.mgh.harvard.edu/neurowebforum/AlzheimersDiseaseArticle
s/SteeleRichardsonSyndromeinfo.html

This article submitted by [log in to unmask] on 10/20/95.

A physician caring for our grandma who has been diagnosed with
Alzheimers, mentioned the possibility of her suffering from
another syndrome, Supre Nuclear Palsy or Steele Richardson
Syndrome. I have tried a couple of search engines on the
web and gopher through the Univ/Minnesota with no luck.

If anyone can point me in the direction of research on this
I would be so grateful. It appears that this may affect the
treatment she gets, and she is hovering at death's door, in
the ICU as I write.

Please respond on this forum, or respond to my email address
Thank you
Lisetta Chalupiak

Next Article
Previous Article
Return to Topic Menu

Here is a list of responses that have been posted to this article...

     P.S.P.Site (3/13/96) 5:00 AM

P.S.P.Site

This response submitted by Tom Kelly on 3/13/96.

Author's Email:

For location for Steele Richardson Group in U.K. (Europe) Check Glaxo
Neurological Centre Web Site Url

_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/
_/                                                        _/
_/        Central Supply & Services                       _/
_/        (Internet Training and Research)                _/
_/        PO Box 57247, Jackson Stn.,                     _/
_/        Hamilton, Ontario, Canada, L8P 4X1              _/
_/        John S. Walker                                  _/
_/  Email [log in to unmask]                          _/
_/        "To Teach is to touch a life forever"           _/
_/         On the Web one touch can reach so far!         _/