To Barbara Patterson, Listserve,
Please repost these 4 important messages from PAN even though they may have
been posted already.  3 people have contacted me saying they are missing
 different parts.  Sorry for the inconvenience.  Barbara Schirloff

Cost Initiative Continues:  Fill out a Cost Evaluation Form...
One of the Parkinson's community's most compelling arguments for research
funding is cost:  without an effective treatment, Parkinson's disability
creates a fiscal nightmare.

This year we are putting renewed emphasis on gathering substantive and
detailed information about the true cost of Parkinson's disease.  We have
Cost Evaluation Forms available to help categorize the various medical costs,
as well as the related societal costs of lost wages and productivity.

While the cost of Parkinson's is most often stated as $25 BILLION, the
initial responses to our forms indicate the true costs as close to $50
Billion.  We need more complete data in order to make the strongest possible
case to Congress.

If you haven't completed and returned a Cost Evaluation form, please do so as
soon as possible.  Moreover, organizing your support group to do the same
would greatly assist  our efforts.  If you are a physician or support group
leader, please call our office to receive forms and distribute them to your
members.  This information will help us all in the effort to demonstrate that
Parkinson's deserves more research funding.
*
Visit our NEW WEB SITE!
In our next step to establishing a coordinated, informative and responsive
Internet presence, we are launching our own interactive site on the World
Wide Web!  The site will be accessible January 1,1996 at
http://www.pdaction.org

At start up it will contain useful information about Parkinson's disease, PAN
and the Udall bill, including electronic copies of our Action Advisories.
 You will also be able to email us, sign on to our mailing list, or visit
other Parkinson's-related sites via hyperlinks.  In the coming months we will
be adding comprehensive Congressional information, electronic copies of our
newsletters and various scientific and media articles.

http://www.pdaction.org
Please visit our site, make use of the information and services provided and
contact us with your comments or suggestions.  800-850-4726
*
Resources-
As you get started, you may need an updated set of materials.  Following are
some of the resources that you may use for your advocacy efforts. Contact
PAN's Community Outreach Coordinator Michael Claeys, at 800-850-4726, for
copies.
-Lists of newly elected and re-elected Members of the 105th congress.
-Current Members of the House and Senate Leadership.
-Members of the key Congressional committees and their committee chairs and
ranking Members.
-Video of Senate hearing on medical Research, inspirational videos, and
national media articles.
-Other updated PAN materials, including Funding Disparity Charts, Routes to a
Parkinson's Cure, Return on Investment in Parkinson's Research, Udall bill
summaries and Fetal Tissue Research Fact Sheets.
*
The November issue of the Action Advisory gives a thorough status report and
analysis of the Parkinson's community's legislative effort, including:
-Recap of the Udall bill progress leading up to unanimous Senate passage.
-A "Q & A" analysis of what we've accomplished, and what it indicates for
future strategy.
-Highlights of Parkinson's research appropriations, including the NIH
neurodegenerative initiative, budgets and Congressional "report language"
directives to the National Institutes for Neurological Disorders and Stroke
(NINDS) and Environmental Health Sciences(NIEHS) and the Department of
Veterans Affairs.
If you or your support group would like copies, please call us at
800-850-4726.

Parkinson's Action  Network
800-850-4726
Headquarters:
818 College Ave., Suite C
Santa Rosa, CA 95404
phone  707-544-1994
fax  707-544-2363
email:  [log in to unmask]
Washington, DC office
601  13th St. NW., Suite 310
Washington, DC 20005
phone    202-628-2079
fax    202-628-2077
Brad Udall, Chair
Joan I. Samuelson, President
John L. Dodge, Treasurer
Bonnie K. Mioduchoski, Administrator
Michael Claeys, Community Coordinator
The Action Reporter is a free publication of the Parkinson's Action Network,
a  non-profit charitable foundation for a cure for Parkinson's.  Use of this
material in other publications is welcomed.  We ask that the Network be
identified as the source of the material, and notified how,  when and where
the material is used.  Simply call 800-850-4726