Dear Friends,
I thought I would write an update and final letter to you all.
My husband was admitted to the psych ward on October 21 suffering
with extreme confusion. Previously, to this he had been lost for 3
hours while out walking the dog. This week-end, started with his
insistance that this was not our home. Our home was exactly like
this, same pictures, same furniture but it was not our home. He
kept leaving the house and was becoming more and more agitated. He
tried to call the police on me but couldn't use the phone. Finally
I called the police and both the ambulance came and the police. With
insensitivity, they asked if he was drinking or on drugs (I had already
told them simply that he had Alzheimer's. He told them that we had
quarelled. The police told me not to argue with him. I said that I was only
trying to keep him in the house.
Saturday, he thought I was a homemaker but related. He asked me questions
all day about my background. As I got ready for bed, his eyes lit up
probably thinking that he was going to sleep with this stranger.
Sunday, he was terribly confused and Monday, the doctor came again and
told him he would have to go into the hospital.
The psychiatrist came to see him and diagnosed him with Lewy Body's
Disease and not Parkinson's at all. Dr. Calhn in Vancouver had told me
this but didn't explain what it was and my GP hadn't a clue about it.
They told us that he was in the final stages and probably had a month
to a year to live but more likely a month.
After 3 terrible weeks in the psych ward, he was confused, paranoid,
accusing and even violent. They moved him to the Transition Ward, to
await room at Extended Care, where he took very ill. Was vomiting up
old blood(we still don't know what that was from) and then developed
pneumonia and died in less than a week.
For those of you who are believers in our Lord, Peter accepted the
Lord as Saviour the night before he died. There was great rejoicing in
our church that Sunday night as well as in heaven, I am sure.
Peter was the first person to be diagnosed in the Comox Valley.
A week after he died, another person was diagnosed, same doctor.
I thought that you should be informed of this so that others can
question their diagnosis if they, like Peter, are not responding to
the Parkinson's medication.
I have sold my home and bought a condo in Vernon, BC where my son
and his family live. I move the end of February to the Skyway
Village, #55.If anyone lives in Vernon or nearby, I would be most
pleased to hear from you. I will connect to the internet as soon
as I get moved in which will be about the second week in March.
I want to thank all of you for your support and suggestions.
The love and concern that came over the 'net' were so
precious to me. What a wonderful, caring family you are. Please
continue the good work.
love, Leone Boguski