Stan,

I just read your posting about your forced retirement and all of the great
reading postings to this list for about two years, I do not see to many "do
nothings". I see a lot of active and caring PWP and Caregivers.
I too retired on long term disability about 2 1/2 years ago after working
with PD for five years. I got to the point that I lost my handwriting, found
that my voice would not carry at meetings and in giving presentations
(several required monthly), I could not remember if and when I had completed
my assignments. My work day grew to 11 to 12 hours daily plus Saturdays to
complete what I had been doing in 8 to 9 hours normally. Up until a couple of
months ago, I had tremendous guilt about staying home. I am just becoming
comfortable with the idea of not going to the "stress factory" daily. My
employer (large corporation) and two levels of managers supported the
decision of my neurologist to retire.
I had to apply for Social Security as part of the disability program. Like
many other applicants experienced, SS denied my first application. However,
on the second try I was accepted for Social Security. I do not make extra
money as the insurance company deducts the SS amount from their benefit to
me.
I keep busy with; church volunteer activities, our local group (a chapter of
NPF), and maintenance to our home that was put off for many years. My wife,
my caregiver that I could not live without, just retired. We bought a camping
trailer and plan to do some long delayed traveling. Maybe to DC to help in
the fight for passage of the Udahl Bill.

It sounds like you will have no trouble keeping active. Good luck

John F. McCabe, 58/7,  New York