>I am on the list at the Kansas Univ. Med Cntr to have the procedure done as
>soon as they receive federal approval to continue.  I seem to recall that
>there was a gentleman on the list who had the STIM surgery in Grenobal
>France back in the summer of '94.

Hi, J.R.  I also had Pallidal Stimulation Surgery at KU Med Center.  The
first was on November 30, 1995, and the second was on February 28, 1996.  (I
was the 3rd person in the U.S. to have this procedure).  If you're seeking
information, I would be happy to correspond with you.  We can also easily put
you in touch with the first person and the 3rd person to receive the surgery,
and we have also met and/or spoken to the 2nd and 5th people in this first
round of surgeries.  So there are at least five people who can give you some
information about their experiences and results.
     I know KU Med Center (The University of Kansas, for the rest of you) has
done an additional five pallidal stimulations after the first round.  Have
you talked to Diane Smith about the surgeries?  She's the nurse clinician
who, at your request, can put you in touch with some of the other previous
patients.
     I can tell you that in my case, the results were quite good - better on
the left side than on the right.  Not perfect, certainly, and it's not a
cure, but my quality of life is much improved, and in my case, it was well
worth it.  Please feel free to contact me and I'll answer any of your
questions and/or describe the experience/results in much greater detail.
     Dick Swindler(52/15)              [log in to unmask]