------------13862F7E625E0

Marge and Ida-

Schizophrenia and psychosis induced by PD meds like l-dopa usually are
distinguishable clinically.  Usually at least in my experience the PD
patient who is not demented- that is not suffering Alzheimer's-like
memory deficits will experience a delusion or hallucination retaining a
fair amount of insight- for instance seeing a relative who has been dead
for years and then report it as "Y' know doc the strangest thin happened
to me... It couldn't be true but it seemed so real.  I doubt whether the
mechanism for schizophrenia  is totally an excess of dopamine or most of
us who are taking sinemet would be psychotic. I suspect that the
interuption of a series of events one of which involves dopamine
transmission is involved in Schizophrenia.  Also neuroleptics usually
leave a lot to be desired in terms of their results in controling
schizophrenic symptoms.  And interestingly probably the most effective
neuroleptic on the market is Clozaril(clozapine) which produced probably
the least parkinsonian side effects. Also it is the drug of choice for
l-dopa induced psychosis because it does not significantly interfere
with dopamine trasmission in the basal ganglia.  Prior to the
availabilty of clozaril in this country we had the almost impossible
task of decreasing the hallucinations and delusions of PD patients with
only neuroleptics that made PD motor symptoms worse.

My impression is that the 2 diseases are related in that both involve
dopamine transmisions but they are not polar opposites.

Regarding visual problems relating from excess retinal dopamine.
Personally I tend to have light intollerance whe I am "off" more than
when I am dyskinetic.  If my obsevation is typical that would tend to go
against your theory- but is an interesting point and maybe Jaqualine
our neuro-ompthomologist- on the list has a more informed opinion than
do I.

You both pose interesting questions.

Charlie
CHARLES T. MEYER, M.D.
MADISON, WISCONSIN

------------13862F7E625E0

<HTML><BODY>

<DT>Marge and Ida-</DT>

<DT>&nbsp;</DT>

<DT>Schizophrenia and psychosis induced by PD meds like l-dopa usually
are distinguishable clinically.&nbsp; Usually at least in my experience
the PD patient who is not demented- that is not suffering Alzheimer's-like
memory deficits will experience a delusion or hallucination retaining a
fair amount of insight- for instance seeing a relative who has been dead
for years and then report it as &quot;Y' know doc the strangest thin happened
to me... It couldn't be true but it seemed so real.&nbsp; I doubt whether
the mechanism for schizophrenia&nbsp; is totally an excess of dopamine
or most of us who are taking sinemet would be psychotic. I suspect that
the interuption of a series of events one of which involves dopamine transmission
is involved in Schizophrenia.&nbsp; Also neuroleptics usually leave a lot
to be desired in terms of their results in controling schizophrenic symptoms.&nbsp;
And interestingly probably the most effective neuroleptic on the market
is Clozaril(clozapine) which produced probably the least parkinsonian side
effects. Also it is the drug of choice for l-dopa induced psychosis because
it does not significantly interfere with dopamine trasmission in the basal
ganglia.&nbsp; Prior to the availabilty of clozaril in this country we
had the almost impossible task of decreasing the hallucinations and delusions
of PD patients with only neuroleptics that made PD motor symptoms worse.&nbsp;&nbsp;</DT>

<DT><BR>
<BR></DT>

<DT>My impression is that the 2 diseases are related in that both involve
dopamine transmisions but they are not polar opposites.&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;</DT>

<DT>&nbsp;</DT>

<DT>Regarding visual problems relating from excess retinal dopamine. Personally
I tend to have light intollerance whe I am &quot;off&quot; more than when
I am dyskinetic.&nbsp; If my obsevation is typical that would tend to go
against your theory- but is an interesting point and maybe Jaqualine&nbsp;
our neuro-ompthomologist- on the list has a more informed opinion than
do I.</DT>

<DT>&nbsp;</DT>

<DT>You both pose interesting questions.</DT>

<DT>&nbsp;</DT>

<DT>Charlie<BR>
CHARLES T. MEYER, M.D.<BR>
MADISON, WISCONSIN<BR>