Ron Reiner writes:

>You are right about not knowing the side effects of Acetyl-L-Carnitine
>(except what I've read informally).  However, I do know the side effects (at
>least for me) of Sinemet and Permax.  I never want to go through either of
>those again as long as I can avoid it.  My condition has steadily improved
>since my diagnosis by taking myself off of the medications suggested by my
>Neuros.  I stuck with Eldepryl because of its potential neuroprotective
>effect.  Meanwhile, I am OD'ing on antioxidants (Vit E/Succinate, Lipoic
>Acid, Pycnogenol etc) in the likely futile hopes that they too will delay
>the progression.  I'm not sure what the side effects of these things are,
>but I know they are far less severe than the stuff prescribed to me.
>
>                Ron Reiner (48 + 1.5ys)

I agree with this 100%. The known side effects of long term sinemet use
(like the 40 years I may be looking forward to) are so ugly as to not be a
good topic for discussion. Goal #2 of my personal approach to treatment is
to reduce sinemet-use by almost any means possible, and in fact this is my
gauge of the success of any supplement "can I take less sinemet?" Goal #1 is
to stop whatever ongoing damage it may be possible to stop, and reducing
sinemet figures into this also. If I was in my 60's or older, my approach to
treatment would probably be different, but for us young'uns in this mess for
the long haul, I'll take my chances with well-researched supplements before
I buy the guaranteed hallucinations, dyskinesia, etc. caused by sinemet.

Another anti-oxidant fiend,

Kathie Tollifson