I've just caught up on reading about 30 PD digests and read some of the comments
about pycnogenol. I'm interested to know if anyone has given it a fair 90 day
trial to see if it does improve PD symptoms. My understanding is that much of
the aging and destruction of cells in the brain is due to abnormally high levels
of free radicals. Apparantly, PD patients have an unusually high level of free
radicals in their brains. This could be due to poor diet, toxic metals or
chemicals as well as indiviidual biochemistry. If pycnogenol is able to
penetrate the blood-brain barrier and is 50 times more active than vitamin C or
E, perhaps it can do some good and stop the progression of PD as well as
moderate the side-effects of L-dopa therapy, one of which is elevated levels of
free radicals in the brain. Has anyone given pycnogenol the same fair trial that
seems to be so freely given to new drugs which always seem to have negative
side-effects?