On Sat 11 Jan, Ralph P Cook wrote:
> Any good news about Amantadine?  My mom just started on
> it and I wonder if we can look forward to any improvements
> from it. I know it is also an antiviral, and my pharmacist told
> me it was a better anti-parkinsons drug . Has anyone had
> any problems , or side-effects?
>

>                                            Karen Cook

Hello Karen,  I am guessing that your mother has only recently been
diagnosed, and this is her first prescribed drug, not counting Eldepryl,
(Though in my view it is better to not use Eldepryl)

Amantadine has the following rich attributes for use against PD:

   *It was found by accident to help some newly-diagnosed PWPs

   *Nobody knows how it works.

   *Its effect is small, which is why it is given to newly-diagnosed
    PWPs.- for even the slightly more advanced case, it is inadequate.

   *It is sometimes used together with other PD drugs for more
    advanced cases, although I don't know how beneficial it really is.

Yes, you have guessed that I am not a fan of Amantadine. I think it is
unnecessary, but it is part of the myth and folk lore of those who
believe in it, and at least I can say that (In small doses) I am not
aware of any really bad problems associated with it. Used with older
PWPs, hallucinations have been reported.

I have just re-read this letter, and I really have got the poison pen
out, haven't I? Sorry Karen, but don't be too surprised if the effect
(assuming you get one) does not last too long.

Regards,
--
Brian Collins  <[log in to unmask]>